Looking to rent a property? We’ll help you through every step of the process, from assisting with your search to find a new home right through to the day you get the keys. It’s also likely that we’ll be managing your home which means we’ll be your point of contact throughout your time at the property.
If you’re looking to rent for the first time or need a quick refresher, here’s our step by step guide to find a home to rent:
- Register with us. Speak to one of our friendly team or register here to let us know the type of property that you’re looking for. We’ll need some information about you and we’ll then suggest properties that may interest you. If we don’t have anything that’s suitable right now, we’ll text/email you when we have a property that matches your requirements.
- Follow us on Facebook. We’ll often post sneak previews of properties on our Facebook page before they go live anywhere else. Click here to go to our page (and don’t forget to hit like!).
- Arrange viewings. So that you don’t waste your time viewing unsuitable properties, before physically viewing a property we’d recommend that you watch the property tour video. Once you’ve booked a physical viewing, you’ll be accompanied at the viewing appointment by one of our team who will show you around the property and will be on hand to answer your questions.
- “I love it, can I move in?” After the viewing, we’ll be in touch to request your feedback on the property and to find out if you’re interested. To apply, we’ll ask you to read our terms and conditions and pay a holding deposit (usually £100) which will secure the property for you whilst we carry out referencing. Where more than one person wants to apply for a property, we will only proceed with one application. All parties will be informed as soon as possible and if you are not chosen, we’ll do our best to find an alternative property for you.
- References. Once the holding deposit has been paid, Vouch, our referencing partner will be in touch. Vouch is an easy-to-use online platform and you’ll be asked to upload:
- Proof of your current address
- Proof of affordability (payslips or bank statements)
- Proof of I.D.
- Contact details for your employer/accountant and current landlord
- Set a move-in date. The next step is to confirm the date you’d like to pick up the keys to your new home! Our admin team will then send you (all electronically as we hate wasting paper):
- The tenancy agreement to read and e-sign. This is a legal document so it’s really important you read and understand it. Ask us if you have any questions
- An invoice breaking down the amount required to move in with payment details
- How to set up future rent payments
- Other important documents relating to the tenancy.
- Pick up the keys! On the day your tenancy starts we’ll hand over the keys, give you all the important details about the property & information about who to contact if there’s a maintenance or tenancy issue. We’ll also take care of informing utility companies of your move & provide meter readings.
- Review the Inventory & Schedule of Condition. We get it, moving house is exciting and stressful in equal measure. The last thing you’ll want to do is review a document. However, it’s so important that you spend some time reviewing your inventory and adding your comments as this will greatly reduce the likelihood of a deposit dispute when you move out. From move-in, you will have 7 days to complete the review or it will be deemed accepted as provided.
Vouch will carry out a variety of checks including a credit check. We aim to complete referencing within 3 working days (this can be much quicker but depends on receiving responses promptly). By law, we must also carry out Right to Rent checks on all adults by taking a copy of the original I.D. documents (ideally a passport). We’ll then either approve your application or if you don’t pass, there are some circumstances where the landlord may consider a guarantor or paying rent in advance.
Our whole team is on hand to make the whole process as easy as possible for you. Should you have any questions or if you have special circumstances which require additional assistance, please get in touch.